Friday, November 4, 2011

Craft, Thy Name is Thrifty!

I am a thrifty gal.  Unfortunately for my thriftiness, I am also uncrafty.   As my previous posts have attested, I am trying to up my craft skills in order to be productive enough that I can save money in some areas.  I would love to get to the point where I can make my daughter a cute dress for school instead of buying one.  I have a long way to go.

I own a pair of shoes that are so comfortable.  I have had them for a guesstimate of four years.  I love these shoes. I wear them often.  These shoes have the holes to prove my love.  Ideally I could afford to buy another pair of navy blue Toms but unfortunately, the budget says no.  Instead of throwing the shoes in the trash I got on Google and searched for a way to salvage my favorite shoes.  I came across this tutorial and quickly made a trip to Hobby Lobby for fabric scraps and E-6000.  This technique looks easy enough that I felt fairly confident tackling this activity.


Here's a picture of my Toms after I stitched up the holes in the toes.  They didn't have any other holes so I chose a simple path and decided to just cover the toes.

I picked out a couple of squares of fabric and fitted it over the toes of the shoe.  After putting that on I dug into my ribbon stash and added some to my shoes.  It's not the best looking and I got half the container of glue on my fingers, but it did the job.  And, the great thing about this craft is, if you grow tired of the look, you can add more fabric.  I may get more adventurous and add some stitching or embellishments later on.

Anyway, here is the finished product.  It was truly easy and pretty quick, even for this unskilled mamma.




Happy Crafting!


No comments:

Post a Comment